Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When you are 1,812 days old

You sometimes have a hard time keeping up with all the rules of the day during preschool.

TK is, shall we say, energetic, and sometimes teachers find that disruptive. Who knew?

So last week I get a call that goes something like this "Um, Mrs W, TK is really having a hard time being quiet during paper time and he also can't keep his hands to himself. Is this a problem you are having at home?" I had to stop myself from saying something too sarcastic that would have started with "Well, during paper time at home..." But I didn't - it couldn't have gone well anyway. Instead, after quite a long, punishing conversation during which I might have agreed to shock therapy, we came to the conclusion that we would keep a notebook in his tote tray and I would get an update note each day. Sounds reasonable. It's not enough to get a call - surely seeing it on paper will be easier!

Monday and Tuesday were great notes - "TK had a great day." Excellent - that's progress. But alas the happiness was short lived. Wednesday's note went like this...

1/23/08
TK had a very hard time being quiet during paper time. He had to be asked several times to be quiet and could not seem to quiet down. Then he said to a friend "Those teachers are insane" and Ms G heard him say it - she was standing right there and he said it. We sent him to the office to talk to Mrs M about saying things like that.


What the? Did you really say that? I asked him on the way to the car what happened with Mrs M and he said "She told me that I shouldn't say words that I don't know what they mean." I said, "Well do you know what insane means?" "Of course. It means crazy but it's close to meaning meanie"

Perfect child - you perfect child.

No comments: