Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday, Lazy Sunday

The most strenuous thing I have done today was add a new link - Mommies with Style - a fun site for funky moms. Other than that, my day has been about prepping the playroom for the upcoming 5th birthday of Teeks. Hard to believe that it's been almost 5 years since I officially became a mother. His age has been becoming more of a factor in behavior lately. By that I mean he's doing more and more to assert his independence and aptitude to "handle it himself" (haha).

Yesterday I needed to go to the credit union and Todd and TC were sleeping so I too Tiki so they would have a quiet house. We finished around 1:00 pm and realized that we hadn't had lunch so we popped into McDonald's (it was chilly and overcast) to get a snack and kill some time in the playland. It was so crowded that we didn't stay long and decided to kill the rest of the afternoon at Dollar General, Big Lots and Family Dollar. Tiki had a couple of $1 bills burning a hole in his pocket so we were shopping. Well @ Dollar General he "accidentally" told me to "shut my mouth" so we left there with him in tears after I made him put his toy choice back on the shelf. I don't think I'll ever get used to that embarrassing feeling of your child pitching a fit in a store. I try to go back and evaluate his upbringing thus far and try to imagine where in the world that came from. I often tell him after he's pitched his fit "Let's think about this, you pitched a fit to get that toy, right" After he acknowledges that then I often ask him "And did it work - did you get the toy". He ALWAYS answers no, so then I ask "So, do you think pitching a fit works". The answer is always no, so I have to question why he keeps doing it. Maybe he thinks one day I'll forget and accidentally give in - that's all I can come up with. Luckily I know that this won't last forever and we'll be on to much bigger issues so I guess this is just part of the process. 364 out of 365 days I feel so lucky to have to deal with only boys and then there's that one day that I think - can I really do this? Only time will tell. :-)

No comments: