Friday, January 4, 2008

Ba-whuh?????

That sounded like "...he has RSV."

So the little one has RSV. I really didn't see this one coming. He got a cold about a month ago and I got a little worried with so much talk of RSV among my circle of moms. But he recovered nicely and that was that. Just before Christmas both kids started getting stuffy and and while Tiki's just progressed to a plain old sinus infection complete with drainage and cough TC seemed to be getting more stuffy and feverish. Then came the vomiting and that was more than pleasant. And finally last night while I was changing him after his third bath (it's the only way to erase that sour smell) I heard the telltale wheezing. It sounded "lite" last night, but then this morning he sounded so much worse. So Todd took him to the doc and she confirmed RSV and sent us home with the fistful of prescriptions. We started the Orapred tonight and LUCKILY we already have a compact nebulizer, closet full of Pulmicort and Xopenex for breathing treatments.

I'm so frustrated by this diagnosis for MANY reasons, but that's another post. I sent my mother-in-law, a Senator in CO a very long email asking how I can raise awareness with my local legislators about the issue of the vaccine being more readily approved for babies under 6 months during RSV season. I was pleased to hear back from her that she is sending to her Women in Government colleagues AND forwarding to her pharma lobbyists in hopes of making a connection somewhere.

So I close with something infinitely more positive.

...The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

2 comments:

donna manning said...

I love reading your blog. I am so sorry that baby T is sick, and you are right. It is ridiculous that RSV vaccine is not available to all infants. Keep plugging...if I can help let me know.
Give the boys a kiss...I'll check on you.
Love, Donna

Jenny said...

I, too, hate that the vaccine is...dare I say it? AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO GET!!!!!! you have to jump through a million hoops, and pray and pray that insurance approves it. i hope little T starts feeling better soon. Poor guy. Praying for a quick recovery.