Tuesday, June 17, 2008

No parkin' on the dance floor

TK wears glasses and has for about 1.5 years now. He's done really well for being his age and having to deal with glasses. His first pair were these cool little blue wire rectangles made of memory metal that you can bend and twist - perfect for a 4 year old. They survived until one fateful timeout where TK took the glasses and tried to break them in half in a fit of anger. Todd and were kind of standing back laughing at him and thinking "good luck" until we heard snaaaappp. That was the sound of one of the 3 "weak points" on the glasses snapping in half...NICE JOB KID!

Remarkably,
Todd stayed calm and dragged Teeks to LensCrafters at 4:45 on a Sunday afternoon to see what could be done. The awesome guy there was all "Sir, I think these glasses are defective. Don't you think that sir? Seriously, I THINK THEY WERE DEFECTIVE AND I THINK WE SHOULD REPLACE THESE FRAMES FOR FREE, SIR." He replaced the frames, but told Todd "We can't do anything about those lenses." We had no idea what he was talking about until we discovered that there were teeth marks on the lenses. Yes, teeth marks. Evidently, (as discovered upon further investigation) TK got something on the lens and tried to scrape it off with his teeth - you know, as opposed to haaaaah-ing on the lens and wiping off the fog. Who uses their teeth????

So finally we went for a new exam last week and found out that the patching has not been working and instead Tiki will have to use the dilating drops in order to make his weak eye work harder and gain some strength. That means one eye will be dilated all the time - something I think will be fun for all of us, no really fun for all of us. It's so sad to see him try to shake his head to clear his vision when his eyes are dilated. It will be quite fun watching him try to do that in 6 week increments.

After the exam the doctor tells me that although TK's prescription has not changed much, he does indeed new glasses (and not just because of the teeth marks...) This time there are special effects called for!

Checkout went something like this.

Tortoiseshell Ralph Lauren frames for $119.95 - covered by insurance...check
Single vision lens for $120.00 - I pay $10...check
Featherweight lens for $65.00 - I pay $40...check
Transitions tinting for $125 - I pay $100...check
Invisible prism for $85 - I pay $45...check

If you are good at math you can see that my original total was $514.95. After my insurance kicked in my out of pocket total was $195.00.

While Sergio the Optician was swiping my card I leaned down to TK and said very quietly "If I find your teeth or your mouth on ANY part of these glasses I will tan your hide".

He looked up at me with the one big eye and said "Will you spank me until your hand becomes part of my body?"

After the initial shock I was like "Would that be scary to you?"

"Yes"

"Okay - then yes that's what I'll do"

I WAS MEANT FOR THIS JOB!

1 comment:

Mom2Girls said...

I thought about this story today when I was at the eye doctor with Lila - All I could picture was fast forward 2 years and she snapping her bite mark ridden glasses in half!! LOL