Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Holy Schmo!

I'm a parent to a 5 year old!

Today is TK's 5th birthday and I'm still absorbing the fact that 5 years old = kindergarten in just over 6 months!

The day began not as great as I would have hoped and as usual I shoulder a good deal of the blame for that.

I think birthdays are a REALLY big deal. I mean, sure, there could be 100,000 other people in the world with your same birthday, but I consider it to be your special day. It was the day that God chose to give you breath so we make them special.

In keeping with that I made sure that this morning Todd got up and got TK his favorite Top Pot Old Fashioned Chocolate Donut from Starbucks AND he had one gift to open with breakfast. But what actually happened is that it took Todd a long time on the errand, Teeks woke up early AND on the wrong side of the bed, ended up in time out (his first ever 5 minute time out) and threw his gift during a small tantrum over getting dressed.

So after some thought where I considered having him continue the rest of his childhood living in the backyard or possibly sending him to France to live with another family, we made him go back to his room in the dark and get in bed and restart the day. He cried and resisted, but managed to turn the day around..and left the house in 3 different patterns of camo and flashing Spiderman shoes. If you see him, no he did not escape from a home and yes he does have the gift of sight.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to Tee-eeks!
Happy Birthday to you!

No comments: